Time and Again

A touch of wisdom, a touch of scripture, a touch of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pocatello, Idaho, United States

A strong christian with a drive for moral purity and accountability. I grew up in a rural town, and now live in a 'rural' city (it's got lots of trees...) while going to University and seeking the Lord's will for his life.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

"Hello, Again..."

Wisdom for the day: "Despite the fact that classes are out for the summer, many of us find ways of busying ourselves. Whether it's playing games, traveling, working, or partying with friends and family, the time seems to find places to go. The one thing I've noticed in my own life, is the fact that this 'extra' time that I fill, does not get filled with bible study or prayer. In fact, I find that nearly every activity I engage in, I do so with the intention of entertaining myself, and wind up feeling spent and a little directionless. In consideration of this, I think it wise, that as we go out to enjoy God's creation this summer, we make an effort to include our Saviour in constant thought and prayer, so that wherever we are, and whatever we do, we are spending time with the One who loves us most. "

Scripture for the day: I Thess. 5:16-18, " 16Rejoice always;

17pray without ceasing;

18in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."


Life: A fair bit has gone on in the last month, though how much of it was important is hard to say. As the summer started, I found myself struggling with what to do with my time, since I had so much more than I was originally accustomed to. Now, however, that is no longer an issue: I have become actively involved in the youth group ministry, joining with them in fellowship and prayer as they anticipate leaving for their mission trip to Mexico this Thursday; Crossroads is still Thursday nights, and smaller groups will get together throughout the week for fellowship, such as hiking, board games (that's Abe's department it seems), or movies; I have substitute taught Sunday School classes 3 times the last four Sundays, and find it a new challenge, and proof I'm not really prepared to enter the public school system (I'm a bit of a bore, I'm afraid); and I just starting catsitting for a friend of mine. It's a bit interesting, because Jessie (my cat) is a bit territorial, and threw a royal fit when the other cat arrived. I still have to keep them seperated, but it's manageable now, at least.

Also, my two summer classes began last week, providing me with a diversion and knowledge base besides the slow hum-drum of work. One class, a 'philosophy of education' class is a bit of an issue, since the professor is a strong proponent of 'evolved' sociological norms, like the idea that the Ten Commandments were written to represent the human ideal for species preservation, or that religion as a whole is merely a man-made invention to control other men. From what she's said, she was schooled in a private catholic school with extremely strict discipline. I'm guessing she saw a bit of hypocrisy, and that is likely one thing that has contributed to her current religious and philosophical position. I would appreciate prayer as I attempt to negate or reduce the effect of her constant, narrow comments (narrow in that she states one idea as fact for an issue that has several reasonable and completely different explanations).

Finally, I have been struggling with myself as I spend more time with the other college students and am tempted to start another personal relationship. There are many other things that affect this situation, but I am earnestly praying for wisdom and self-control as I interact with myself and others. I pray that my actions would glorify God, not myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home